Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sweet potato burrito recipe: Another good one


Those crazy vegetarians, what will they come up with next?

I found this recipe for “Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos” on AllRecipes (my favorite recipe site) and made a batch last night. They were a total hit - filling, tasty, and easy to make. Plus, they make great leftovers.


Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (or black beans)
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
  • 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

  2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. (Note: Mashing before adding to skillet is easier) Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.

  3. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.

  4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.


Super, super awesome and other than the physical labor involved in mashing, they’re super easy. If you think they sound incomplete without meat, go ahead and add some, they’d probably taste even better.

The recipe is for 12 servings, so I had to cut it down a bit for Andrew and I. Don’t be afraid to make too much, they’re great the next day and can be frozen.

I took the advice of some of the commenters on the recipe and used black beans instead of kidney beans, only because that’s what I had and forgot to put kidney beans on my shopping list.

Another piece of advice - mash beans before putting them in the skillet, makes life much easier. I also left the potatoes just a little under cooked after reading a negative comment about how “mushy” they were. Turned out to be great, gave the filling more texture than mush.

Added bonus - they’re really good the next day. I heated one up for breakfast this morning, with a little side of eggs. As Rachael Ray would say: “Yum-o!”

Personal lesson learned - Mashed sweet potatoes are easier to clean off the wall than I thought. Just kidding, but I need to get myself a potato masher. I managed to do pretty good with a hand mixer (thanks Martha!), but I think I may like the old fashioned hand masher better. We’ll see next time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I'll tried it after our diet is in it's maintennance stage.

    ReplyDelete